From attending casual gatherings to cocktail parties, I want my personal style to enter everyone’s mind long before my size. Knowing I look my personal best gives me confidence in pretty much any situation, but this is all the more true when attending events where I don’t know the majority of the people; whether I’m attending with my husband or alone.
When I’m alone, I aim to be the most appropriately and best dressed woman in attendance. There’s nothing like the boost of confidence the right outfit can give you when walking into a room of strangers. Plus, how you look goes a long way to set the tone for conversations and possible networking relationships.
When I’m with my husband, dressing well is top priority for me for more than one reason. First and foremost, I want him to feel proud to be with me – that he has the most beautiful and intelligent woman in the room on his arm. Second I want people focused on how fabulous my clothes are because, let’s be honest, people can be very judgmental about size and having a husband who is visually trimmer than you seems to make you an even greater target of less than complimentary comments from some people. Having a stylish, polished look tends to minimize those kinds of comments from making their way to your or his ears.
So how do you create this personal style that’s puts the focus on you instead of just your size? Here’s my five best tips for creating a stand out personal style:
- Wearing beautifully fitting clothing – tailoring and custom-sized clothes from places like Eshakti.com can take an average looking piece of clothing to exceptional. Every woman deserves clothes that fit her perfectly! There’s a big difference between thinking “well, it fits” in the dressing room and knowing “it fits me like a dream.”
- Select exceptionally designed clothing – you’re looking for shape/cut, fabric type, lining when needed, and details like buttons and stitching. When you look at it or hold it, is it amazing? Does it make you feel like you have to have it? If the answer is no, move on to the next piece!
- Find your best colors – Everyone has colors that make them look simply stunning. Do you know what yours are? I can bet you it isn’t black! Find yours and fill your wardrobe with them. (Don’t listen to those crazy blanket statements like “redheads look great in brown,” try on the rainbow and figure out what really works best on your unique skin tone and shade of hair color.
- Accent with great accessories – Statement necklaces and earrings can take an outfit from average to amazing. Bracelets, pins, bags, and scarves are also great options. Pick one statement piece for each look and keep the rest minimal. You don’t want to look like you’ve been paying dress up in your Grandma’s jewelry box. When in doubt, it’s still a good rule to take off one piece. It’s a rare occasion when wearing a necklace, earrings, bracelet, pin and scarf with a bold bag is really going to be a great look.
- Finish it off with fabulous shoes – never underestimate the power of a great pair of shoes to transform an outfit and draw attention. Colored and detailed shoes are especially useful for making a statement. Just make sure that the style truly compliments your base pieces and doesn’t compete with them.
When you pull a look together following these tips, don’t be surprised if you feel like you can rule the world.